Sunday, July 14, 2013

Sexuality, metrosexuality and homosexuality

Being a homosexual man living in the US and having a pretty busy social/sex life, I encounter a question pretty often from my “fairer” counterparts: How does Hinduism (for most of them India means Hindu, which largely is true but being a-religious in my political view this hurts my feeling) address homosexuality. Now that is a tricky question. Unlike the Christians, Muslims and Jews we the Hindus do not have a standard booklet which tells us how to behave. The only near equivalent, that too I hear assigned by the British, is the Gita. But unfortunately the whole commentary there is about how we should be doing our duty as human being without getting attached and was delivered standing on the battle filed. Although men in uniform having sex with each other gives an erotic visual entertainment, but unfortunately I have not encountered any homosexual reference in the Gita. So unless I take a huge extrapolation and say if you are homosexual keep fucking men without getting attached, I do not see any way of addressing homosexuality from a “Hindu” perspective. But on second thought here I think I have a clue how we can introduce metrosexuality in the battle of the Gita. Look at the colour of the dhotis that our warriors were wearing, from yellow, to violet to any damn rainbow colour. In addition if we go to the epic Mahabharata, of which the whole story of Gita is a part of, you will see guys wearing a lot of jewelry, being very conscious about how they look, and participating in stereotypically feminine art form. Take the example of Arjuna, the most manly and handsome of all. During the years of their exile (do not expect me to tell you the whole story here) he transformed himself into a beautiful dance teacher called Brihannala and befriended all the royal ladies at the court of Virata! If I had no clue who Arjuna was and how many woman he slept with I would straight away take this as a sign of homosexuality where a guy transforms himself into a woman to be attractive to other men (mind it homosexuality is not equivalent to being transgender, a commonly mistaken vibe). Such examples are plenty in Hindu mythology. Like the time during the churning of the sea to get the nectar of life, the demons and the gods collaborated. And when finally the nectar was found, the gods decided to deprive the demons from it (how godly) by seducing the horny mortals and asked lord Vishnu to transform as a woman, Mohini. Once again Vishnu being the only Man in this universe and still transforming as a beautiful woman to seduce demons, does not sound very straight to me, unless they were playing a Halloween pared. There are even rumors that Vishnu and Shiva have a very interesting romantic relationship. One of the stories says that Shiva seeing Mohini (he was well aware that Mohini is actually Vishnu in disguise I suppose) got so excited that he started masturbating and when he was “done” his semen was transferred to Anjana’s womb through her ears and eventually she gave birth to the great Hanuman! My aim is in no way to scandalize the Hindu mythology, actually I love these stories. But my point is how effortlessly the gods swinged between being super straight males to homosexuals and in every way they were metrosexual with their coloured dhotis, face packs and jewelries. This makes me wonder if we ever had a rigid definition of sexuality in ancient India. In other words did we tag a person as “Gay” and cast him away from being ever attracted to a woman or not. With my modern and homosexual mind I can say there have been several instances when I was attracted both intellectually and physically to a “woman”. This attraction is in general very much dependent on few qualities that that women had, instead of finding them attractive because they had a vagina and boobs. India came in contact with the western masculinity, which is all about muscle and being insensitive and being sporty and all most probably when Alexander the great first stopped at the door step of the then Indian Territory. For the first time the two very different cultures looked at each other with awe, and started assimilating each other’s idea. Indian men started to be described in more “manly” manner, and this assimilation is still going on. I do not know if this was a good thing or bad, but this might be a reason while all Abrahamic religion condemned homosexuality, the ancient Indian religion, which we call these days Hinduism kept silent.

No comments:

Post a Comment